Power bills tend to drive us on the edge when they arrive at the end of the month. Thanks to technology, everything nowadays seems to be using electricity and this is driving the bills higher. You may choose to do away with some appliances to reduce this, but that would not guarantee efficiency in your home. Below are 5 great power saving tips and ways you can ensure that you control your usage and have the services you require.
- Use the small appliances like toasters and skillets. Save the slow oven for occasions that are more important.
- Use the microwave oven. It uses less time and uses less power.
- Avoid using the appliances multiple times. Encourage family members to be having meals together to avoid warming and cooking foods separately.
- Only use one refrigerator or freezer. This is one of those great power saving tips that a lot of people don’t think about.
- Do not set the temperatures unnecessarily low. It will consume more electricity like that.
- Clean the units regularly. Clean equipment tends to be more efficient.
- Keep the Refrigerators a safe distance from heat sources like direct sunlight or ovens.
- Always ensure the equipment is tightly shut to avoid air escaping. This way it will consume less power.
Water heaters, air-condition systems, and lighting
- Purchase energy saving models and have them installed correctly – an amazing power saving tip!
- Carry out professional repair work in case of a breakdown. Only experts to avoid further damage and or energy loss should carry out air conditioning repair.
- Use energy saving lighting. Ensure that lights are turned off when not in use, and with regard to security lights, invest in motion sensitive lighting.
- Ventilate your house well.
- Use natural light whenever possible; it is free anyway so this is another one of those great power saving tips.
Heaters and insulation
- Ensure your house is well insulated during the cold season to keep the heat from escaping.
- Research on the equipment before purchase it, to find the most efficient one for you.
- Use the right equipment for the right job.
- In warm weather, let the sunshine in. This way, the walls and furniture will absorb the warmth.
- Clean your equipment regularly to get rid of residue.
- Do not leave the equipment running for too long.
- Shut down computers, heaters, AC equipment, water heaters and ovens when not in use.
- Use the washing machines economically. Do the laundry together to avoid misuse and to cut on the cost of power.
- Learn the weather patterns and know when to use what and when for the comfort of all in your home.